Posts Tagged ‘smart cloud’
The cloud space continues to heat up and without dissipating. Cloud computing, that is.
Just today, IBM unveiled the industry’s most advanced cloud services and software designed from the ground up for enterprise clients.
New IBM SmartCloud services and capabilities introduce unprecedented choice, security and portability as businesses shift critical activities to the cloud and approach its use as a platform for business.
IBM plans to support about 200 million users by the end of 2012 as clients shift core applications and processes to the IBM SmartCloud.
According to a new IBM survey of over 500 business and IT leaders, only 33 percent have deployed more than a cloud pilot today but that number is expected to more then double in the next three years. By 2015, 40 percent of the respondents say cloud will bring “substantial change” and 30 percent say cloud will drive the invention of business models and revenue streams.
The study clearly indicates that enterprises see the value of cloud but face a unique set of challenges around security, reliability, standards and control in truly extending the use of cloud beyond IT and the virtualization of data centers.
To help bolster the use of clouds by enterprises, today IBM is launching:
- IBM SmartCloud Application Services – A new service that will give enterprises a platform to realize the cost and time savings of a Cloud environment for their most mission-critical enterprise applications while maintaining a high level of control and security over deployment and access
- IBM SmartCloud Foundation – A new portfolio of breakthrough cloud software that allow enterprises to quickly deploy and control clouds within their own firewalls.
- IBM SmartCloud Ecosystem – New services for IBM partners and ISVs to help thousands of small and medium business clients adopt cloud models and manage millions of cloud based transactions by assisting their customers in areas as diverse as banking, communications, healthcare and government to build their own clouds or securely tap into the IBM SmartCloud.
Go here to get the details about several aspects of today’s IBM cloud announcements.
Clouds moved into the Austin area overnight. Just in time for my flight to Las Vegas tomorrow.
What happens can’t stay in Vegas if I can’t even get there.
But clouds also continue to permeate the IBM milieu, this time with an announcement around cloud testing.
According to a recent IBM survey of 2,000 IT pros worldwide, cloud computing and mobile have emerged as the most in-demand platform for software application development and IT delivery over the next five years.
With yesterday’s announcements, IBM is extending its environment to allow more enterprise developers to take advantage of the cloud for development and testing.
Specifically, IBM expanded its Smart Business Development and Test on the IBM Cloud with support for Windows and with new enhancements to better serve teams of developers.
IBM also introduced an integrated development and test environment, along with new software and services, to allow developers to improve quality and speed across the application life cycle.
Announced earlier this year, the IBM Smart Business Development & Test on the IBM Cloud allows enterprise clients to expand and enhance internal development and test processes with instant access to resources through IBM’s secure, scalable cloud delivery model.
The multi-tenant open cloud now includes support for Microsoft Windows 2003 and 2008 Data Center Editions. The enhanced environment also includes additional performance and resiliency and features, allowing developers to:
- Rapidly configure environments and easily share them across development teams for more consistent application deployment
- Assign multiple internet protocol (IP) addresses to a single virtual instance, so they can implement security zones and enhance availability in the IBM Cloud
- Attach combinations of storage sizes to a virtual instance at the time of provisioning, ensuring higher performance and resiliency.
New Integrated Development and Test Environment for Cloud
IBM also introduced an Integrated Development and Test Environment, an end-to-end solution approach that integrates tools, processes and cloud infrastructure to enable clients to conduct more robust and complex testing earlier in the application development life cycle, while also reducing the cost of identifying and fixing software defects.
The following software and services are now available in North America and Europe on the IBM Cloud:
- IBM Testing Services for Cloud – application virtualization: Clients rapidly create multiple virtual test environments customized for each development and testing team. By providing testing teams with 24/7 availability without dependencies on back-end systems and data stores, the service gives testing teams the ability to test more thoroughly throughout the life cycle without worrying about data or service availability. A North American company using this service experienced a 22 percent reduction in the Function and System Test cycle and a 100 percent return in ROI within 90 days.
- IBM Testing Services for Cloud – performance testing: Brings together automation and performance testing tools to significantly reduce time by as much as 50 percent, the service provides flexible, utility-based testing that delivers on-demand performance testing, and offers robust, large-scale performance testing services to enterprises, via Cloud hosting. This service identifies defects earlier in the cycle where they are less expensive to fix and eliminates performance-related bottlenecks.
- IBM Rational Load Testing on the IBM Cloud: Helping to address issues with infrastructure acquisition, maintenance and configuration for large scale performance testing by leveraging the IBM Cloud, IBM is announcing a technical preview of IBM Rational Load Testing on the IBM Cloud. The solution allows testers using IBM Rational Performance Tester to automatically provision virtual test agents and generate virtual users on IBM Smart Business Development and Test on the IBM Cloud on a pay-as-you-go basis, significantly reducing infrastructure, software and test set up costs.
- IBM Deployment Planning and Automation: Taking advantage of existing IBM Rational and IBM Tivoli software tools, the new solution manages the automation and planning of software deployments into the cloud and other environments. Designed for organizations that need to deploy applications in a consistent manner, the suite of software supports the entire deployment lifecycle from environment discovery through deployment planning, to deployment automation and governance.
New Partners and Developer Resources
IBM is continuing to build an ecosystem of partners to deliver the most complete and comprehensive cloud computing solutions to clients. This ecosystem comprises existing and new cloud partners: Cohesive Flexible Technologies Corp (Cohesive FT) allows customer controlled networking in a cloud, Servoy provides a rapid application development and deployment environment for creating and building high-end enterprise applications on the cloud.
“Cloud users have been waiting for an enterprise-grade cloud infrastructure from a recognizable and trusted vendor. IBM is clearly the answer. Now customers can take advantage of application layer network control and security with VPN-Cubed inside the IBM’s Smart Business Development and Test Cloud,” said Patrick Kerpan, CTO of CohesiveFT.
IBM has also added online workshops, skills tutorials, cloud computing technical resources and social networking tools that enable users to build online relationships, share content, and grow a worldwide network of peers to drive innovation. Visit here to learn more.
Details and availability
Smart Business Development & Test on the IBM Cloud allows clients to work with their own images as well as images from across IBM Software Group including exciting offerings from the Rational, Information Management, WebSphere, Lotus and Tivoli brands, available in a variety of flexible licensing models.
Smart Business Development & Test on the IBM Cloud is now available in North America and Europe with the Raleigh, North Carolina, USA and Ehningen, Germany data centers supporting the IBM clouds.
Visit here for more information on IBM’s cloud services.
Visit here to get more information on Smart Business Development & Test on the IBM Cloud.